The New Dahlia Garden
May to December 2013
Fernando García-Dori / Campo Adentro
This project proposes the creation of a kitchen garden of ornamental plants and vegetables, to act as a trigger for community involvement and as a point of meeting and social cohesion for the city of Madrid.
An area of land in the Matadero complex, opposite the Arganzuela greenhouse, connected to Madrid Río Park and owned by the Municipal Arts, Sport and Tourism Department, will be prepared for the purpose.
It is proposed to design the land collaboratively, and for it to contain various growing plots under different forms of management: plots for adult and school education, collective gardening, assigned to specific associations, etc. Between the plots, the ground will be covered with resistant vegetation to serve as a recreational area and composting will be carried out on vegetable waste from the garden. A temporary building will be put up to provide information, in the form of an "Rural Environment Approach Space", which will present innovative and creative proposals for improving the urban environment.
There will also be a programme of activities (workshops, lectures and screenings) with the presence of various artists acting as facilitators for specific phases of the project (Espada y Monleón, Atelier d'Architecture Autogerée, Refarm the city, Future Farmers), which will included opening times for all entities and people interested to participate in the various facets of this new space.
- A workshop on building and preparing the land for the New Dahlia Garden, in collaboration with Inteligencias Colectivas. Friday 11 October, at 11 am.
- A Debate with Landings, chaired by Fernando G. Dory, Carlos Monleón-Gendall and members of the Studies Group. Screening of Breaking with Old Ideas (1975).
Friday 11 October, at 4 pm.
- Inauguration of the seed cultivation workshop, a meeting with local residents and a debate on what an agro-ecology space in the neighbourhood could be.
Saturday 12 October, starting 2pm.
- Around the Imperial Pastoral: Presentation by Landings. Saturday 12 October, at 4 pm.
- Defending what is common: A debate on commonly owned assets, rural pillaging and the local reform act, by representatives of the State Rural Platform campaign. Screening of the documentary by the Omana Platform in Defence of the Neighbourhood Councils and the 15M-León citizens' movement. Saturday 12 October, at 7 pm.
- A session by DJ Abraham Rivera: Through the Andes: A journey through South American folklore. Saturday 12 October, at 9 pm.
- Seedbed workshop. Saturday 26 October, 12 noon to 2 pm.
- Meeting of the Ecologies of Art, New Territory and Landscapes in Contemporary Culture Studies Group. Friday 15 November, at 4 pm.
- Meeting and debate with members of the Studies Group and Asa Sonjasdotter and Matti Aikio from the Tromsø Academy of Art. Friday 15 November, at 7 pm.
- Group work in the New Dahlia Garden and a workshop to design a plot to promote urban agro-ecology, by Fernando García-Dory. Saturday 16 November, at 11.30 am.
- Traces in the Snow. Colloquium on indigeneity in contemporary culture and presentations by artists Asa Sonsjadottir and Matti Aikkilo. Saturday 16 November, at 5 pm.
- Workshop on constructing the Greenhouse-Classroom with Inteligencias Colectivas. Saturday 30 November, 11 am to 2 pm.
- Winter organic garden workshop with Germinando. Saturday 30 November, 11 am to 2 pm.
- Workshop on making a vertical garden, with Puesto Pec. Saturday 30 November, 11 am to 2 pm.
- Workshop: Aromatic plants and the organic kitchen garden. Saturday 21 December, 12 noon to 2 pm.