Matadero little history
Intermediae opened its doors in February 2007, occupying part of what used to be the refrigeration building at the former Matadero (slaughterhouse), upon completion of the work by architects Arturo Franco and Fabrice Van Teslaar in collaboration with interior architect Diego Castellanos.
Since its beginnings, the Arganzuela slaughterhouse and livestock market was an open project meant to grow. With a surface area of 165,415 square meters, the project by municipal architect Luis Bellido was structured around a set of pavilions used for various purposes and services: management and administration, livestock markets, the health section, garages, stables, and even railroad service.
After the Civil War, new uses were planned and a potato storage warehouse was built in 1940, which was converted into a greenhouse in 1992. As of 1970, the facilities started to become obsolete and measures were taken to find new uses for some of the buildings. In the 1980s, architect Rafael Fernández-Rañada transformed the management and administration building in the former slaughterhouse, better known as the “Casa del Reloj”, into the headquarters for the Junta Municipal de Arganzuela (Arganzuela Municipal District), and converted the veal stable and sales building into a space for socio-cultural activities. In the 1990s, architect Antonio Fernández Alba transformed the former cattle stables into the headquarters for the Ballet Nacional de España (Spanish National Ballet) and the Compañía Nacional de Danza (National Dance Company).
In 1996 the space used as a slaughterhouse was finally closed and the set of buildings were classified as a catalogued asset, according to the Plan General de Ordenación Urbana de 1997 (1997 General Plan of Urban Classification). 26 September 2005 marked the approval of the modification of the special plan for intervention, architectonic preparation, and urban-environmental control of uses of the former municipal slaughterhouse buildings, increasing cultural use to 75% of the total.